Employment relationship

At the start of a new employment relationship, you should find out which agreement sector your work falls under.

Public-service employment relationship or contractual employment relationship?

You should have a clear understanding of what type of employment relationship you have right from the start, as public-service and contractual employment relationships are subject to different agreements and legislation.

Employment relationships that involve the use of public authority are public-service employment relationships. Other employment relationships are contractual employment relationships.

Trial period

The start of a new employment relationship may involve a trial period, which gives the public servant or employee and the employer the opportunity to get to know one another and to see if the employment relationship is working out and, if necessary, to dissolve the employment relationship without a notice period.

A trial period may be applied to both indefinite and temporary employment relationships. If you are in a public-service employment relationship, your consent to a trial period is not needed.

If you are in a contractual employment relationship, the trial period is agreed on in your employment contract.

Appealing a decision

If you are dissatisfied with a decision regarding a public-service position, you can consider filing an appeal for a revised decision. If you are in an employment relationship, you cannot file an appeal for a revised a decision.

If you wish to appeal against a decision, contact your shop steward.

Still looking for answers?

Your shop steward and the experts working at the OAJ office will help and support you in different working-life situations. Find the right expert.

OAJ at your service

Join the union!

As OAJ’s member you receive the most important benefit: advocacy. To join the union, you must work as an employee in the education, training or research sector. The union fee is determined based on your gross earnings, and it is tax deductible.

Join OAJ